The US military informs Trump of its readiness to strike Iran “as soon as possible”.

The US military informs Trump of its readiness to strike Iran “as soon as possible”.

The US military informs Trump of its readiness to strike Iran as soon as possibleSenior national security officials have informed US President Donald Trump that the US military is ready to carry out possible strikes against Iran as early as Saturday, although the timeframe for any military action could extend beyond the weekend, according to CBS News on Thursday, citing sources familiar with the consultations.

Officials confirmed that Trump has not yet made a final decision on carrying out the strike, at a time when discussions within the White House were described as ongoing and changing, with a careful assessment of the risks of escalation and the political and military repercussions, whether to act or refrain from doing so.

According to the network, the Pentagon will temporarily reposition a number of military personnel outside the Middle East region to Europe or within the United States over the next three days, in anticipation of a possible military operation or US forces being subjected to counterattacks by Iran.

One source explained that this measure falls within the usual precautionary steps before any military activity, and does not necessarily mean that an attack is imminent.

In this context, an informed source said that Foreign Minister Marco Rubio intends to visit Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in about two weeks to continue consultations on regional developments.

White House spokeswoman Caroline Leavitt said there were “many reasons and arguments that could justify a strike against Iran,” but stressed that “diplomacy is the president’s first choice.”

She added: “It would be very wise for Iran to reach an agreement with President Trump and his administration.”

The United States had already deployed the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group to the region, while the USS Gerald Ford was en route to the Middle East, and maritime tracking data showed it was off the coast of West Africa as of Wednesday.

Indirect talks between the United States and Iran, mediated by foreign powers, were held in Geneva and focused on Iran’s nuclear program. The talks lasted several hours. The US administration said some progress had been made, but Levitt emphasized that the two sides “remain very far apart on some issues.”

Shafaq.com

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.