The Mosul Dam conference calls on the government and the international community
The Mosul Dam conference calls on the government and the international community for support to ensure its safety
2018/03/22 (00:01 PM) - Number of readings: 133 - Number (3882)
Baghdad / Range
The Ministry of Water Resources concluded on Monday its first international scientific conference on the Mosul dam with a set of recommendations, the most important of which is the government's call for more support for the ministry and the demand of the international community to provide financial and technical support for the dam's safety.
Water agreements and the formation of joint bodies along the lines of other international rivers.
The conference, which started last Sunday under the patronage of President Fuad Masoum, was attended by international and local scientific institutions and experts with expertise in the field of dam maintenance and safety. He discussed the safety of the Mosul dam and the techniques currently used in monitoring, To strengthen its safety, while the conclusion of the participants to a number of recommendations.
The first of these recommendations was to emphasize the great importance of Mosul Dam as a major civil infrastructure in the Tigris Basin and provide great services to the various economic sectors in Iraq.
• Support the approach of openness and transparency in dealing with the problems of the dam and provide the community and public opinion with information from the source.
• Call on the Iraqi government to provide further support to the Ministry of Water Resources to improve the safety of the dam and make it under constant observation.
• The need to continue and strengthen scientific cooperation with national and international research institutions in the field of modern technologies that ensure the safety of Mosul Dam.
• Request the international community to provide financial and technical support to contribute to the safety of the Mosul Dam.
• Continuing and strengthening cooperation with international organizations involved in the prevention of flood risks.
• Emphasize the need to provide the necessary financial allocations to complete studies of the construction of Badush Dam as a measure to prevent risks.
• Review and strengthen means of coordination between the Ministries of Water Resources and Electricity, in the management of releases to ensure the safety of the dam.
• Thank the US government for its financial and technical support to enhance the safety of the Mosul Dam.
• To affirm the need to strengthen the tripartite partnership between the Iraqi, American and Italian sides in the maintenance of joint works and cooperation to secure the safety of the Mosul Dam.
• Calling on the riparian countries in the Tigris and Euphrates to promote water cooperation to reach water agreements and form joint bodies along the lines of other international rivers.
• To thank and thank the efforts exerted by the Ministry of Water Resources to establish and make the conference a success considering the safety of the Mosul Dam as a national mission.