Kurdistan Region President Calls for Urgent Iraqi National Conference

Thread: Kurdistan Region President Calls for Urgent Iraqi National Conference

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 : Following the political conflicts between the Shia and Sunni Arab leaders in Iraq, as result of which top Sunni politicians fled to Kurdistan last Sunday, Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani called for an urgent Iraqi national conference in order to “confront the dangers facing the political process in the county,” Kurdistan president office issued a statement on( krp.org) website.

Barazani criticized the Iraqi authority for holding the top Sunni politicians at Baghdad Airport due to the current political conflict between Iraq’s Shia Prime Minister, Nuri Al-Maliki and his Sunni deputy, Saleh Al-Mutlaq, who Maliki is trying to dismiss and Iraq’s Sunni vice president Tariq Hashimi, who Maliki has issued an arrest warrant against him for terrorism charges.

“We should all work together to provide security and stability and avoid any security vacuum after the withdrawal of American forces. We must also not underestimate or tolerate terrorism. At the same time however, security forces should not be used for political objectives,” said the Kurdish leader.

“It is extremely unfortunate that the situation is heading toward a critical crisis and that the partnership in government is under threat,” added the President, urging all sides to reconsider their hardline positions and return to the existing agreements. “I call for an urgent national conference to avoid a collapse of the political process.” Barazani said.

Editor’s note: this statement sent www.ikjnews.com from KDP’s Alex Atroushi who also translated the Arabic version of the statement. : http://ikjnews.com/?p=2789

Sorry for the disappointment, but this article is from December 2011:
    Published on 19 Dec, 2011 at 20:57 in News | Viewed 421 times | 2 Comments

Following the political conflicts between the Shia and Sunni Arab leaders in Iraq, as result of which top Sunni politicians fled to Kurdistan last Sunday, Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani called for an urgent Iraqi national conference in order to “confront the dangers facing the political process in the county,” Kurdistan president office issued a statement..........

http://ikjnews.com/?s=kurdistan+regi...nal+conference

I believe that you are correct. I wondered when i posted the article, which was " dated " July, 18, 2012, whether it was a repeat, but decided to let others review for accuracy. I have now searched the news archives and indeed the article was discussed at least in the following writing, " Iraq's Recurring Political Crisis
    Feb 16, 2012 - Ramzy Mardini " http://www.understandingwar.org/back...litical-crisis . I apologize for my part in the error and thanks to toby for the correction and thread reply.

Banned
    Sad for us...

There was another article yesterday where Barzani was adamant about his hanging back position
    and seemingly disgusted by the lack of real reform activity on the part of the NA...
    which conflicted with the idea of them all getting together and getting it done.

Too bad it was this one that was innacurate...
    but on the other hand..
    it is good to see the strong resolve of the opposition not to fall for Maliki's manipulations any longer.