Despite repeated alerts, tens of thousands of Americans may still lose their Internet service Monday, JULY 9, 2012, unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.

The FBI is seeking information from individuals, corporate entities, and Internet Services Providers who believe that they have been victimized by malicious software (“malware”) related to the defendants. This malware modifies a computer’s Domain Name Service (DNS) settings and thereby directs the computers to receive potentially improper results from rogue DNS servers hosted by the defendants.

To see if you have been infected follow the instructions below OR follow the link posted below the instructions:

To check cleanly, do not click any links (always the best idea if a virus is suspected or you do not know the sender or website), just type the trusted website address directly into your browser address bar.

I went straight to www.fbi (.gov) and entered MALWARE in the search box. I chose the article: "FBI--Check to See if Your Compter is Using Rogue DNS" and then clicked their link to test using the URL in my language.

FBI Link: