Over 200 ISIS loyalists killed in Nangarhar raids, officials say

Over 200 loyalists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed during the operations launched nearly a week ago, local officials said.
The officials further added that the operations were jointly conducted by the Afghan security forces as well as the US forces who were carrying out drone strikes against the terror group.According to the officials, the majority of the militants were killed in drone strikes in the restive Kot district.
The ISIS loyalists launched a major attack on police check posts in Kot district last month which left several people dead including the local residents and security personnel.The officials in Nangarhar are saying that the fighting in the area forced around 500 families to flee the area as nearly 100 houses were set on fire by the loyalists of the terror group.The provincial governor said Sunday that 131 ISIS loyalists were killed during the first two days of the clashes along with 12 security personnel.The latest major attack by ISIS loyalists in Kot district comes as the terror group received major blows during the recent months as a result of the Afghan and US forces routine operations.The US forces stepped up airstrikes against the ISIS loyalists earlier this year after they were granted more authorities by President Barack Obama.The increased raids against ISIS loyalists followed amid concerns that they are attempting to expand foothold in the country besides attempting to consolidate operations with the terror group in Iraq and Syria.