Trump reveals the reasons for not carrying out a US strike yesterday on Iran

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US President Donald Trump said on Friday he had canceled a strike the US military planned to target Iranian military positions in retaliation for the downing of the plane in the Strait of Hormuz after he was "told" it would kill civilians.

"The strike on Iran would have targeted three military sites and would kill 150 people, but I canceled them 10 minutes before the deadline," Trump was quoted as saying.

"I stopped the operation against Iran when I was told that civilians would be killed, and the response was not proportionate to the downing of a plane," he said, stressing that "Iran can never acquire nuclear weapons."

On Thursday morning, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard dropped a US drone over the Strait of Hormuz with a "surface-to-air" missile, the guards said, and a US official confirmed it to Reuters.

This comes in light of the escalating tension between the United States and Iran and the taking of military action in the Gulf, against the backdrop of economic sanctions imposed by Washington on Tehran, and the threat of closing the Strait of Hormuz if prevented from exporting oil through it.

Article Credit: https://baghdadtoday.news/
Special Thanks to Charles Bright!!