Washington and Moscow agree on a political solution in Syria

MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin said at the start of his meeting with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that he sought to normalize relations with Washington, expressing his hope that Pompeo's visit would be beneficial to bilateral relations.

"As you know, I spoke to the American president a few days ago, and I have the impression that President Trump has an intention to restore Russian-American ties, ties and contacts, and that he has an intention to resolve issues of mutual interest," Putin told Pompeo.

"For our part, we have repeatedly expressed our will to restore the relationship of full size, and I hope that the conditions for this purpose will be developed now," he said.

The Russian president said that the situation in Russian-American relations has begun to change, especially in the areas of "maintaining strategic stability, preventing the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, solving regional crises, combating organized crime, confronting environmental problems, combating global poverty and other modern threats and economic issues."

Putin pointed out that trade exchange between the two countries, which usually remains low, has witnessed, over the past year, a slight increase of more than 5%.

On the alleged Russian intervention in the US elections, Putin said that the report of the US special prosecutor, Robert Mueller, on the so-called "Russian intervention" in the US elections, "objective and confirms the absence of any collusion between Russia and the current US administration, which we described from the beginning that Complete nonsense. "

He once again stressed that such alleged interference "was not at the state level and never was possible," expressing regret that this allegation caused deterioration of relations with the United States.

"We have common interests and issues in which we can cooperate and work fruitfully, we can work together to make our people live more prosperous and for the prosperity of the whole world," President Trump said. "I would like to present this message while I am here and present some ideas and projects," Pompeo said, adding that he sees opportunities for cooperation between the two countries in North Korea, Afghanistan, strategic dialogue, etc., so that the whole world benefits from our cooperation.

Regarding Syria, Mike Pompeo said he had agreed with Putin to open the way for a political solution in Syria.

Article Credit: https://baghdadtoday.news/
Special Thanks to Charles Bright!!