$30bn Pledged to Iraq – Time to Act!

Thread: $30bn Pledged to Iraq – Time to Act!

Following the Kuwait International Conference for the Reconstruction of Iraq earlier this week, Iraq has so far received pledges of financing totalling around $30 billion to help with rebuilding the country after the devastating war against the Islamic State group.

While this is well short of the $88 billion in funding estimated to be needed, it is still a very significant boost for the country’s reconstruction programme, and will greatly improve the quality of life for millions of Iraqis.

Commenting on the outcome, UN Secretary-General António Guterres said:

“After the last three days in Kuwait, I feel hope for a new Iraq that is open for business and prepared to face the next challenge of rebuilding communities while reconstructing schools, roads, bridges, hospitals and public infrastructure.

“A prosperous Iraq will be a pillar for development and stability in the region.”

Many readers of Iraq Business News will play key roles in this reconstruction effort, and we would like to wish them every success in this important work.

Article Credit: Iraq-businessnews.com (Special Thanks to Charles Bright)

Re: $30bn Pledged to Iraq – Time to Act!

BGG ~ I did say this was what was going to happen - didn't I??

They were actually talking about 100 Billion in "grants" (all along)... not 88 billion. Not a single "grant" in sight.

Looks like Iraq is gonna' have to earn it - no one is giving it away today.