Abadi's war against corruption must begin with Maliki and his henchmen

Thread: Abadi's war against corruption must begin with Maliki and his henchmen

Corruption is the most dangerous obstacle against Iraq's development. As the country enjoys many natural resources like minerals and oil, the international community is concerned with Iraq's high level of corruption.

Corruption in Iraq has caused severe poverty in Iraq, which led to civil and sectarian strife that caused the extreme damages to the country's infrastructure.

Shia parties lead corruption

After the US invasion to Iraq in 2003, Shia parties seized all the important posts in the government and led a widespread corruption campaign, which analysts assert that Iraq's losses have reached over 1,000 billion dollars during the last ten years.

The most prominent entity that led this campaign was the ruling Dawa party, led by the former prime minister Nouri al-Maliki, who was described by experts as the "Godfather of Corruption" as he is implicit in numerous corruption, graft and embezzlement cases.

Recently, the Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi launched a campaign against corruption in Iraq, but analysts told The Baghdad Post that until now Abadi didn't dare to press any charges against Maliki.

They added that as Abadi's popularity increased after the victory against ISIS, the prime minister seeks to increase his popularity ahead of the elections by pretending to fight corruption, describing this campaign as an "electoral propaganda".

Politicians are also skeptical from Abadi's actions, after Abadi extradited the former trade minister Abdul Falah al-Sudany from Lebanon after cooperating with the Interpol, and the son of the Luai al-Yasiri the governor of Najaf in a drug trafficking case.

They fear that these actions are just a show ahead of the elections and the Iraq's reconstruction conference that will be held in Kuwait in February. His actions just aim at ensuring investors that their donations and investments won't be embezzled by corrupt officials and politicians.

The Iraqi people wish to see the anti-corruption slogans practiced on the ground, away from the occasion of elections or the upcoming Kuwait conference, and away from personal and electoral gains to include all corrupt politicians no matter how strong or influential they are.

Analysts say, during his tenure from 2006 to 2014, Maliki accumulated power and influence that surpassed the incumbent Abadi, stressing that this is the reason why the PM can't hold him accountable for his crimes that led to the bankruptcy of Iraq after his embezzlement of Iraq's oil profits and the country's destruction in the war against ISIS.

They added that If Abadi is serious in his war against corruption then he must begin with Maliki and his henchmen.

Article Link

Special thanks to Charles Bright for the find!! BIG NEWS.

Re: Abadi's war against corruption must begin with Maliki and his henchmen

BGG ~ When I first started hearing these reports out of Baghdad about this grand “war on corruption” Abadi has planned I was hopeful. I still am. However, there is much to consider. Far more than meets the eye.

This push has been going on since before the end of the fight for Mosul. Abadi started laying out his agenda then. However, one article from last week caused me a little concern, it mentioned Abadi might wait until after the elections to go after “the whales of corruption” (or something along those lines) so it didn’t look like he was doing it for “electoral purposes”. This troubles me some. It seems like a tidy excuse.

The opinion article we lead with today somewhat seeks to goad him into this fight. It might even be hitting on a key point – “Is this all for show”? As in, “election cycle propaganda”. One question I have long had is, “why has it taken this long”? This is a fair point, I think. If Maliki is as corrupt as he is rumored to be, evidence cannot be in short supply.

On the other hand, aside from evidence, we have another interesting perspective… The article from today was posted by The Baghdad Post. This is a typically Shia region, posting typically Shia sympathetic opinions, by those often referred to as “Baghdadis”, or people from the city area… of whom Abadi is one. For them to be this brazen in their refute of Maliki seems fairly brave. There appears to be a significant Shia faction not wanting to go back to the “Dark age of Maliki”. Further, they refer to him as the “Godfather of corruption”. This is a rather brash description of a still, very dangerous figure.

I am hoping the hold-up isn’t that for Abadi to prosecute Malik he will have to implicate himself. In typical Iraqi fashion, there is just no telling which of these characters has been (or still are) “at the trough” of corruption.

The revelation that Barzani and Maliki had some hinky back-door deal splitting the smuggled oil profits initially seemed so far-fetched, but based on recent revelations, makes more and more sense. In retrospect, Maliki stood a near ZERO percent chance of being removed via a vote of “no confidence”. I wonder if Talibani wasn’t forced into his position by his adversarial position in the KRG on the other side of Barzani in the region. In essence – it wouldn’t really matter what he did or said, with Barzani backing Maliki, he would lose either way. Then he went to a “tea meeting” with Maliki. We all know how that worked out for him.

In any case, with the somewhat tepid response Abadi got from world financial leaders at Davos, he may have to reconsider his previous positions on the timing for prosecuting the major corruption players in Iraqi. The world isn’t messing around. They have pledged their support. They want to bring Iraq fully into the world market “fold”. However, they don’t appear fooled by rhetoric, nor do I imagine they interested in allowing a thug like Maliki any further hand in damaging world affairs. Abadi needs to continue producing results.

We wait and watch.