Prime Minister Dr. Haider Al-Abadi: there is no substitute for proceeding with reforms except chaos and the return of abhorrent dictatorship

Sept 21 2015

The Prime Minister Dr. Haider al-Abadi stressed that the fight against the political quota system is an essential part of the fight against corruption because personal or party loyalty leads to promotion of those close to you at the expense of the professionals and capable people, and this injustice destroys society and we will not allow it.

The PM said in a speech during his attendance on Monday (in a ceremony honoring the teams completing the pension applications of the families of martyrs in their homes) that the people may be patient with the difficult economic situation, but they will not stand for the presence of a privileged class that enjoys protections.

He continued: I said from the beginning that the demonstrations are an alarm bell that helps us to address the imbalance in our political system and to cooperate in addressing the issue of salaries and protections, and if the government has a responsibility to protect officials from terrorism, this does not mean that there will be armies of protection details equivalent to three divisions, and there cannot be for one person a protection force of 500 or 800. The country needs combat troops defending the homeland and the people. We are continuing these reforms for justice and equity and the abolition of inequalities, and I will not back down even if it cost me my life, because the alternative is chaos and the return of abhorrent dictatorship that brought wars and mass graves and the sanctions and destruction. The correct action is to modify our political system and fight corruption.

The Prime Minister added: I said as prime minister when I do go out to visit areas that I do not cut off the roads and do not use armoured vehicles, and put my needs as a marker for the protection needs of officials.

He pointed out that we are seekers of peace and not war, and this war was imposed on us, and Daesh entered our territory from Syria with the support of others, but the magic turned against the magician, and Daesh today threatens the Gulf states, Turkey and Jordan, and does not target the Shia only and so it exploded mosques in Saudi Arabia, and therefore we believe calls for cooperation to counter Daesh.

The PM added: Even some who supported Daesh and thought they came to serve them, they discovered the truth, and our troops are welcome in Al-Anbar and Salahuddin, and we reassure the sons of Nineveh that we are coming to free them.

He praised the volunteers who serve the families of the martyrs and the initiative of the completion of their transactions in their homes, because they offer a bright image of Iraqi youth. He said: the nation which cherishes its sacrifices and serves their families, deserve to be raise the standard of freedom, and in particular the martyrs of the popular mobilisation who seek martyrdom walking on their feet and will not give up their nation for money and sacrifice their lives so life can continue.

The Prime Minister ordered the start of an initiative to care for the wounded in hospitals and homes for those who deserve care for a longer period, and instructed to simplify the procedures for the completion of transactions for citizens and investors, because if the procedures were simple the citizen and the investor would not be forced to pay a bribe to progress their transactions, and these corrupt people are showing resistance to efforts to fight corruption, because they stand to lose the illegitimate money that they receive.

Prime Minister’s Media Office
Monday 21 September 2015

https://pmo.iq/pme/press2015en/21-9-20151en.htm