Swedish krona SEK 137.105 137.037
    Norwegian krone NOK 152.992 152.916
    Danish krone DKK 171.918 171.832
    Japanese yen JPY ----------- ----------
    Drawing Rights
    SDR 1628.949 1628.134

Indicative rates - 30.04.2015

Currency Auctions

Announcement No. (2941 - most recent listing)

The opening offers the sale and purchase of foreign currency in the window of the Central Bank of Iraq on 30/04/2015 and the results were as follows:

Number of banks 20
    Number of remittance companies 4
    Auction price selling dinar / US$ 1166
    Auction price buying dinar / US$ -----
    Amount sold at auction price (US$) 154,906,000
    Amount purchased at Auction price (US$) -----
    Total offers for buying (US$) 154,906,000
    Total offers for selling (US$) -----
    Last edited by pinkadonai1; 04-30-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Re: The Dinar Daily, Thursday April 30, 2015

The Exchange Rate of Foreign Currency in Economic Feasibility Studies

Below are the central controls related to the exchange rate of the foreign currency to convert the project inputs and outputs from foreign currency to its equivalent in the local currency, and that is by calculating the net discounted present value standard and the internal return on investments in economic analysis that governs investment projects that costs excess one million dinars.

Estimate the shadow price of foreign currency:

1. It is necessary to put central controls to amend the official exchange rate * to reflect the shadow price of the foreign currency, and that is considered one of the necessary requirements to implement the net discounted present value standard and the internal return rate on investment in the economic calculation stated in the instructions, paragraph nine.

The central controls for adjusting market prices distinguished a group of outputs and inputs traded internationally, where the projects production or usage of them is reflected on the abundance of foreign currency in the economy and thus project outputs or inputs used of such are considered purely foreign currency outputs or inputs.

* What is meant by exchange rate: the number of units of foreign currency, expressed in dollar per one dinar.In particular the following outputs and inputs of foreign currency were distinguished:

• Export-outputs.
    • Outputs marketed locally that substitute imports.
    • Imported inputs.
    • Inputs produced locally that usually go to exports.
    • Foreign labor.

According to the pricing rules the value of the output and input (traded) is calculated using export prices (FOB) and import prices (CIF), according to what is listed in the pricing rules.

In other words the pricing rules calculate what the project produces from foreign currency (quantity of exports multiplied by the export price (FOB) in foreign currency or the quantity of substitute imports multiplied by the import price (CIF) in foreign currency, as well as what the project uses from foreign currency and imported inputs multiplied by the import price (CIF) in foreign currency …. etc.).

In a later step, project outputs and inputs must be converted from the foreign currency to its equivalent in local currency (dinars) by using a specific exchange rate for the foreign currency.

2. Justifications for exchange-rate adjustment: there are a number of important and powerful arguments which support the view that the official exchange rate reduces the real value of foreign currency for purposes of calculating the economic national profitability for investment projects and hence for the purposes of investment planning. It is demonstrated in this context to call for assessing the dinar for less than (3.208) dollar (official exchange rate) when assessing project outputs and inputs of traded goods of exports, substitute imports and imports… etc.

The justifications to call for the use of an exchange rate that is lower than the official exchange rate are:

• The use of an exchange rate that is lower than the official rate is the appropriate action at the investment planning level to translate the country’s economic strategy aiming at stimulating central investments in the sectors that encourage the development of non-oil exports, as well as sectors that encourage the expansion of domestic production base in order to reduce imports and compensate it with local commodities. This helps to reduce reliance on foreign exchange earnings from crude oil exports and increases the share of non-oil sectors in the local production.
    • The application of the amended exchange rate on project imported inputs will assist in directing investments away from aggregated sectors dependent on imported inputs and the preference of those sectors that rely on locally produced inputs.
    • The use of the amended exchange rate helps to correct the balance in favor of the traded goods sectors compared to non-traded goods.
    • The real exchange rate has declined rapidly since the early seventies, through rapid rise of the level of prices and local costs which led by the steadiness of the official exchange rate to change in prices and actual local rate costs that gave an advantage for imported goods at the expense of locally produced goods, meaning that it led to deterioration of the competitiveness of alternative replacement goods and export commodities.
    • This action shows that the official exchange rate overestimates the value of the dinar, compared to the foreign currency and from the promoting goods substituting imports and export commodities point of view of.

And in support to this view is the state’s utilization and in a broad approach to the customs and quantitative protection policies especially for consumer goods, as well as export subsidies that exports have through an amended export exchange rate.

3. Estimate the amended exchange rate of the Iraqi dinar to be used in technical and economical feasibility studies and for (1.134) dollar per dinar. This price should be approved for 3 years until re-appreciation by the competent authorities.

The Republic of Iraq – Ministry of Planning

A "flashback recap" of a Live Q and A Call from about a year ago - on THE DAILY DINAR NEWS BLOG...

In general terms – there were three main focal points of interest I wanted to cover and then allow listeners to ask whatever questions they liked.

1) the SIGR report…

2) the Gold Article…

3) the IIER report…

I started the conversation out last night by highlighting how crazy this campaign being fielded to contact our lawmakers and bank CEO’s and tell them how unfair it is they are getting to exchange (exchange is the right terminology BTW – NOT “CASH-IN”) at 32.00 per Dinar and we are not – is. It is nuts.

Firstly, “they” are NOT being allowed to exchange “early” – or at 32.00 per Dinar. It makes you sound “stark raving MAD” to be caught saying such things. You would be better off barking at the moon. It is demeaning to the validity of a true currency play.

Secondly, this is entirely the wrong way to approach them. I pointed out on the call that Poppy and I fielded a very successful such campaign a couple of years ago. However, we sat down and came up with a much different approach. It was designed to get answers and to approach our lawmakers with respect and as their constituents. Not like a bunch of lunatics. We had extraordinary participation (because it made sense) and we received a good response from lawmakers. It started the conversation in a reasonable manner.

I asked one caller – “when was the last time you asked a banker for money and told him how unfair it was if he didn’t give it to you”??? Obviously – we chuckled…

Another caller asked me if (as DC had relayed) – the “zero’s were raised” and the lower denominations were in circulation??

I said plainly “no”…lower denominations being in circulation would (at the very least) imply there had been a value change. If there were no value change the lower denoms would not only be of little value, they would be such a hinderance – people might even throw them away just to get rid of them. So no – no lower denoms. I told the caller to check the website for “real” info on rate change.

The “zero’s being raised” or “deleted” – as explained by any reasonable researcher, economist or authority – is simply the process removing the large (3 zero notes) from circulation.

Referring to an Enorrste post from today on
    THE DINAR OBSERVER DAILY(you may want to put this on your favorites and check in several times a day – we to it often )

“…I have never found a single article from the CBI or the IMF that equates “delete the zeros” to the idea of “move the decimal point.” Instead, the statements overwhelmingly come out to mean “remove the large notes from circulation.”

Also – this recent internal memo put out by Wells Fargo is likely “push back” from this recent campaign. I pointed out that Pinnacle Bank published an article by an “affiliate” in their internal publication and then “highlighted it” in a similar internal memo a couple of years ago. It is just a defense mechanism. I’m sure Wells is tired of having their name dragged through the “internet rumor mill”. This is highly likely the reason for their vigorous denials about handling it in the future. They get so many useless calls – it isn’t worth the headache. Can you blame them??

Further, for any bank, lawmaker, adviser or official to state the “Dinar is a scam” is nearly as foolish as some of the internet “Gurus”. It is the official currency of a COUNTRY. I pointed out (below) the post from yesterday’s
    – highlights page 94 of the quarterly SIGR report to THE US CONGRESS in April of 2012…
    __________________________________________________ _____________

We are seeing and hearing that the inflation rate is still climbing and they are pushing to get us our money?? This report is from page 84 of the massive SIGR report.

BGG ~
    This is a screen shot from the “Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction” – Apr 2012, quarterly report to Congress. For members of our Government to say they have no idea what is going on here – means they haven’t read some very basic documents presented them.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

I pointed out (last night) this is a highly speculative investment. We are, in no way, guaranteed anything. However, this SIGR report gives us some valuable insights…

1) This is information given to the US CONGRESS on a quarterly basis… I find it hard to believe such an information source would intentionally mislead Congress. They tend to frown on such behavior. Which goes directly to the validity of this adventure – against all advice from Wells Fargo or other such naysayers.

2) It points out there having been a legitimate “plan” – or time frame in motion…having been projected to be done in 2013. We are obviously in “over time” now.

3) It gives us an idea as to who is in charge…the CoM – or Council of Ministers. Who do they answer to?? Maliki. Period. When is he likely to push this forward?? Historically – he has been a “weak Dinar” policy advocate. However, rumor from his own inner circle admits he can’t win a third term in office without some currency reform.

I fully expect him to use every tool in his “wheel house” to win – his recent moves in Anbar and the disputed territories prove as much. Currency reform has to be a “biggie”. Though this WAS their thinking a couple of months ago – there is no promise it is still part of their political calculus. We shall see.

4) Though no guarantee of the actual future plan they wind up engaging – this report points out an increase in value that would have taken the Dinar from “one-tenth of a cent” to a value “of slightly less than $1″..

__________________________________________________ ______________

Coins put on the market !!

Nora Albjara member of the committee of economy and investment in the House of Representatives revealed that the central bank completed its preparations for the issuance of metal coins of seven small groups, in conjunction with the implementation of the project to delete the three zeroes from the paper currency is currently in circulation.

She said in her statement Albjara "The project will take between four and five years, and which will be the launch of the categories of small coins gradually."

He predicted the financial expert Hilal Taan inflation rate declines, with the issuance of metal coins of small denominations in the daily financial transactions, remarkable that 3% of the value of inflation in Iraq due to the presence of large cash block.

The economic expert on behalf of Jamil Anton, noted that he may not find metal coins accepted by a lot of Iraqis, especially young people, due to the existence of an entire generation of Iraqis had not trading coins due to stop use since the early nineties of the twentieth century

CBI is preparing to issue a monetary metal parts

Metal coins from the category of 25 fils were in circulation until the nineties of the last century

Nora Albjara member of the committee of economy and investment in the House of Representatives revealed that the central bank completed its preparations for the issuance of metal coins of seven small groups, in conjunction with the implementation of the project to delete the three zeroes from the paper currency is currently in circulation.

She said in her statement Albjara Radio Free Iraq, "said the project will take between four and five years, and which will be the launch of the categories of small coins gradually."

He predicted the financial expert Hilal Taan inflation rate declines, with the issuance of metal coins of small denominations in the daily financial transactions, remarkable that 3% of the value of inflation in Iraq due to the presence of large cash block.

The economic expert on behalf of Jamil Anton, noted that he may not find coins accepted by a lot of Iraqis, especially young people, due to the existence of an entire generation of Iraqis had not trading coins due to stop use since the early nineties of the twentieth century.

Another "FLASHBACK"...

Economists Divided Over Deletion Of Zeros

By Amina al-Dahabi for Al-Monitor.

The Central Bank of Iraq (CBI) has been attempting to delete three zeros from the Iraqi currency since 2003. This project has raised many concerns among the Iraqi public and within the business community, and Iraqi economists are divided…

…Haider al-Abadi, the head of the Iraqi parliamentary Finance Committee, told Al-Monitor that while deleting zeros from the current currency is possible, this has been postponed until after parliamentary elections. He noted that studies are being carried out to ensure that, following the currency change, counterfeiting is limited and that Iraqis don’t go back to trading in the old currency.

The step to delete zeros from the currency has been postponed several times, leading the parliamentary Economic Committee to demand that the CBI accelerate this project, as Al-Sharqiya reported. In a news conference held July 6, the Economic Committee confirmed that the deletion of zeros will lead to an increase in the value of the Iraqi dinar and will have positive repercussions, including a reduction in unemployment and poverty rates in the country.

Crush Expected When Kuwaiti Banks Reopen Today

March 24, 1991|From Reuters

KUWAIT CITY, Kuwait — Thousands of Kuwaitis are expected to jam the country's banks today when they open for the first time since the end of the Iraqi occupation.

Customers will be allowed to withdraw funds and to swap pre-invasion money for a new currency issued to make more than $1 billion in pre-invasion dinars stolen by the Iraqis worthless.

"We expect a rush of people," said Issam Asousi, an executive with the Bank of Kuwait. He said it could be a chaotic first week because customers have a lot of questions about their accounts.

Kuwaiti banks continued operating during the seven-month Iraqi occupation under managers brought in from Iraq, but they have been closed since the U.S.-led alliance ousted the Iraqi army from Kuwait a month ago.

When the banks reopen today, customers will be able to withdraw up to 4,000 Kuwaiti dinars, equivalent to about $14,000 at pre-invasion exchange rates from their accounts, and to exchange a like amount for foreign currency.

Balances of customers' accounts will go back to what they were on Aug. 1, a day before the invasion.

Clients will not be able to exchange Iraqi currency issued during the occupation, when Baghdad pegged the rates of the strong Kuwaiti dinar to the far less valuable Iraqi dinar.

The new Kuwaiti money will be exchanged for old at a one-to-one rate.

BGG ~ Thanks to wmawhite for some facts on the subject.

Hi BGG,

Just thought I would drop you an email. I listened to the call, and was interested in what was said about Kuwait, if I may - I will add my 2 cents worth.

You were spot on with what you said, I have a close friend who's father made a killing on the KWD. He bought from people who had fled the country and he paid pennies on the dollar (we are in Australia). He took the chance that Iraq would be kicked back out and he was right.

When the money was reinstated, he exchanged it for AUD at a rate in the mid 3s. The interesting thing about it is, Iraq invaded in November 1990 (I think), they were kicked back out at the end of Feb 1991, the banks reopened with a brand new KWD in late March, that's not a bad time frame to get a currency designed, printed and made ready to use, also the time that the old KWD was valid was initially only for 2 months, then extended to 6, so it was valid until Sept 1991, interesting I think.

Also the other thing that seems to be a "fact" in Dinar land is Bill Clinton used the Kuwait RV to pay off the debt. However, Clinton was not President in 91, he did not take office until 93, even I know that and I am an Aussie.

Anyway thanks for the site and enjoy listening to your calls.

Kind Regards,

Fatlawi demands action to stop US Congress resolution

MP for the coalition of state law, Hanan Fatlawi

( Baghdad – On Tuesday evening, the head of Irada Movement, MP Hanan al-Fatlawi called on the Iraqi government to act to stop the US House of Representatives’ vote on a law dealing with the Sunnis and the Kurdish Peshmerga as “two separate entities.”

Fatlawi said in a statement received by, “US House of Representatives will vote tomorrow on a law dealing with the Sunnis and Peshmerga in Iraq as two states,” adding that, “This means applying the Biden’s project through an American resolution amid Iraqi submission.”

Fatlawi wondered, “Where is the Iraqi government? Will we be silent about this farce?,” pointing out that, “The government must move diplomacy to stop this farce, and if it does not stop it, I demand the expulsion of the US ambassador to Iraq and closing the US embassy in Baghdad.”

Fatlawi considered such a law as interference in Iraqi affairs and a division of Iraq, “No country has the right to pass such a law.”

It is noteworthy that US Vice President Joe Biden confirmed in June 2013, that the establishment of the three regions (Shiite, Sunni and Kurdish) is an “urgent and necessary” option to contain the crisis in Iraq.
    Last edited by rcookie; 04-30-2015 at 11:03 AM.

We support a united Iraq, submitted law doesn’t reflect US policy, says Washington

The White House. Archival photo.

( Baghdad – The United States of America confirmed on Wednesday, that its policy toward Iraq has not changed, while expressed its support for a unified Iraq, noting that the project submitted to the US House of Representatives is not based on state laws; it does not reflect the political views of the United States.

The official spokesman of US Embassy, Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement received by, “The United States policy toward Iraq has not changed,” expressing his support for “a unified Iraq.”

Laurie said that, “All the support, aid and military equipment provided by the US government are to be delivered to the Iraqi government and Iraqi security forces.”

Laurie pointed out ,”The project submitted to the US House of Representatives by Congressman Mac Thorbara has no basis in any law, and does not reflect the United States point of view,” noting that, “President Obama is responsible for the foreign policy of the United States of America.”

Security forces secure strategic road between Albu-Garad and Baiji refinery

Iraqi Special Forces. File photo.

( Salahuddin – On Wednesday, a security source in Salahuddin province said, that the security forces managed to secure the road which links between Albu-Garad and Baiji refinery.

The source informed “A force from the special operations forces backed by federal police elements had managed to secure the main road which links between Dor al-Sikak, Albu-Garad and Baiji refinery,” adding that, “Another force from Salahuddin Operations had managed to kill 3 terrorists during clashes with ISIS elements in the area of Tal Albu-Garad and Baiji District.”

Last group of Peshmerga forces to leave Kobani, says Ministry of Peshmerga

Kurdish Peshmerga forces. File photo.

( Erbil – The Ministry of Peshmerga Affairs announced Wednesday, that the last group of the Kurdish Peshmerga forces fighting against ISIS militants in Kobani are set to leave.

The ministry’s spokesman Jabbar Yawar stated for, “The Presidency of Kurdistan and the regional government as well as the Ministry of the Peshmerga Affairs have decided to end the presence of the Peshmerga forces in Kobani,” pointing out that, “The decision came after the Peshmerga forces expelled ISIS militants from Kobani and the return of the residents to it.”

Yawar added, “During the last seven months, Kurdish Peshmerga forces have played such an important and heroic role in the liberation of Kobani and its surrounding areas.”

The last group of Peshmerga, which was in Kobani for two months, will make their way back home by planes and cars and no more troops will be sent to Kobani, Kurdish officials had confirmed.

Cabinet Approves 23 new Oil Wells

By John Lee.

The Iraqi Council of Ministers has approved the expenditure needed to drill 23 oil wells in the West Qurna area.

The drilling had been recommended by the Economic Ministerial Committe, and is to be carried out by the South Oil Company (SOC) and the Russian company Lukoil.

(Source: AIN)
    Last edited by rcookie; 04-30-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Fraudsters Promise Army Jobs in Karbala

Despite the danger, many young Iraqis see the army as a chance for a regular wage.This article was originally published by Niqash. Any opinions expressed are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Iraq Business News.

An Officer but No Gentleman: Fraudsters Promise Army Jobs in Karbala

Criminals in Karbala are exploiting the security crisis and expectations about military corruption by promising young men a job in the Iraqi army, complete with an officer rank.

Her eyes are tearful as she shows off the military uniform in the closet. But it is not because Saja Mohammed Abdul Rasul is mourning a death on the battlefield. It is because this uniform cost her and her husband, Muthather Hussein, a lot of money, savings that they couldn’t afford to loose.

Rasul has been married to Hussein for only a year – the couple are in their late teens and live in one of the low income areas in the southern Iraqi city of Karbala. Hussein works as a labourer on construction sites but his income is low and erratic and what he really wanted to do was join the Iraqi army. Like so many other young Iraqis, there, he thought, despite the danger, he would earn regular wages.

Hussein met a local man through relatives who said he could help him achieve this dream. The man even said he could guarantee him a good rank. But it would cost money – US$2,000. So Hussein asked Rasul if he could sell her gold jewellery in order to be granted an in to the military – after he got the military job he promised her he would pay her back with far finer jewellery.

“The salaries paid to army officers are high,” Hussein explains. “And I thought then I could keep my promise to my wife. I was so eager to join the army even though its a dangerous job.”

And so, perhaps rather naively, Hussein and Rasul paid all their money to the man who had said he was a general, and who promised Hussein the rank of a lieutenant if he joined – this was despite the fact that Hussein had no qualifications or military training. After the alleged general received the couple’s money, he disappeared. His cell phone numbers no longer work and they have no idea where he is. They quickly realised they had been swindled.

Apparently Hussein is not the only young Karbala man to be fooled in this way. The current security crisis in Iraq, caused by the extremist group known as the Islamic State, is chaotic and characterized by disorganisation in the Iraqi army as well as the presence of many different unofficial fighting groups. Many locals knew about all kinds of corruption in the Iraqi military so perhaps it’s not surprising that young men here think they can buy their way into the army.

The Iraqi military offers a regular wage and even social standing to those who can get in – and often you can only get into the army if you know the right people. So it is not surprising that the idea of buying your way in seems quite possible – although recently, in dozens of cases in Karbala, also not true.

Usually the swindlers involved say they have close contacts in the Iraqi army and that they can help locals get into the ranks. Some, like the man Hussein spoke with, say they can even guarantee a higher rank and thereby a better salary.

Haider Abdul-Amir is another of the Karbala locals who says he fell for this trick even though, as he puts it, he was very cautious.

“A man who is well known in my neighbourhood offered to help me become a captain in a military unit called the Karbala Defence Battalion,” Abdul-Amir says. “But I told him that I wouldn’t pay the US$4,000 he wanted until I actually joined the military unit and got that rank.”

Abdul-Amir was then taken to a camp in the desert where he was signed into what he thought was a military brigade. He saw a number of men in uniforms who seemed to be officers or soldiers.

“But it never occurred to me that almost everyone who was there was also a victim, like me,” Abdul-Amir says. “After two months we realised the camp was just a set up and that it had nothing to do with the Ministry of Defence. Most of the people in uniform were part of a gang that specialized in this kind of fraud and they all gradually disappeared.”

Karbala is one of Iraq’s most holy cities – it gets millions of mostly Shiite Muslim visitors every year from abroad and is under very tight security most of the time. So it is hard to imagine anyone being able to set up a fake army base near Karbala without local authorities having some idea of what was going on.

The head of the provincial council’s security committee, Aqeel al-Masoudi, said they had had no information about any such camp. “But we will investigate quickly and we will organise local security agencies to check on this camp,” al-Masoudi said. “Additionally victims of this fraud should make official complaints.”

“These gangs appeared after the highest Shiite Muslim authority [al-Sistani] called upon locals to take part in the holy fight against the extremists,” says Hassan Obaid Issa, a security expert and senior army officer based in Karbala. “Given the collapse of the Iraqi army and the current security chaos, it seems only natural that things like this would happen,” he suggested. “It just reflects the general disarray in the country.”

Meanwhile all that the young couple, Rasul and Muthather, can do is pray that they can get their money back and that the Karbala authorities will do their best to find the man who dashed their hopes and took their savings.

Baghdad and Erbil in the presence of Washington discuss the formation of an operations room for the Liberation of Mosul

Shafaq News / The Ministry of Interior in Kurdistan Regional Government revealed that the Iraqi military delegation started a meeting with the Minister of Peshmarga

and a number of security chiefs in the region in the presence of the US ambassador to Baghdad and a number of US generals.

Razkar Abdullah , Director of media of the Ministry of Interior told Shafaq News, that the conferees are looking to form a private joint operations room on the liberalization process of Mosul, without providing further clarification.

Iraqi Defense Ministry and the Interior Ministry’s delegation headed to Kurdistan Region this morning and arrived in Erbil as met with a delegation from Peshmarga and Interior in Kurdistan Regional Government.

A source from the Ministry of Peshmarga in Kurdistan Regional Government said that the meeting held at the Ministry of Interior in the regional government in Erbil is to discuss security and war on "ISIS".

The meeting's agenda number (33) Thursday 30 April 2015

The third parliamentary session
    The first legislative year
    Legislative Chapter II

First, read verses from the Koran.

Second: The vote on the extension of the legislative term.

Third: the first vote on the draft amendment to the law the protection of mass graves No. (5) for the year 2006. (Commission of the martyrs and victims and political prisoners, Human Rights Committee, the Legal Committee ). (Article 11).

Fourth: The second reading of the bill establishing the eligibility of health institutions Federal law. ( for the Health and Environment Committee , the Legal Committee ). (19 articles).

Fifth: the second reading of the draft accession of the Republic of Iraq to the province of Migratory Species of animals fungal CMS Treaty Act. ( for the Health and Environment Committee , the Committee on Foreign Relations ). (2 article).

Sixth: The second reading of the draft law on ratification of the Convention in the field of environmental protection between the Government of the Republic of Iraq and the Government of the State of Kuwait law. ( Committee on Foreign Relations , the Committee on Health and the Environment ). (Article 2).

Seventh: The second reading of the draft anti-drug law Drugs and Psychotropic Substances. ( for Health and Environment Committee , the Committee on Security and Defense ), (Article 51).

Session starts at: eleven am
    Last edited by donnie; 04-30-2015 at 11:56 AM.